On Tour with Prism Book Tours
He lives by the law.
She’s running for her life.
After forensic accountant Beth Greenwood uncovers a money-laundering scheme tying her company to the organization that murdered her mentor, she knows she needs to go into hiding. With ruthless killers in pursuit, she’s forced to rely on homeland security agent Corbin Ross’s protection—even as his investigation suggests Beth is complicit in embezzlement. Can their uneasy alliance develop into something deeper—and keep them alive?
EXCERPT THREE Chapter One
There was a bullet hole in the hood of his car, and the woman sitting next to him had become a liability to a terrorist cell laundering money. Corbin didn’t know the extent of her knowledge, and he wasn’t letting her out of his sight.
She raised the canister once more. “All right. But I have the pepper spray, remember?”
“I’m not likely to forget.” That stuff was potent. Residue had both their eyes watering in the confined space of the car. “I don’t mean to be rude, but I did save your life. A simple ‘thank you’ would suffice.”
He considered his original cover story. Considering the shock she’d had, he doubted she’d read too much into his earlier conversation. The less she knew at this point the better. He had a greater chance of inspiring her confidence if she didn’t see him as a threat.
“I’m sorry.” She ducked her head. “But I don’t trust anyone from Quetech Industries right now.”
“I have my reasons.”
SQEEE!!! A new author to me in one of my all-time favorite lines by Harlequin. Yes, I read the Love Inspired Romantic Suspense line. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. Romantic Suspense is my favorite thing to read. I cut my teeth on the genre. Thanks, Mom. Anyway, let me tell the ways I just fell in total love with Corbin and Beth.
- Both of them are lonely people. Beth has lost her only parent and doesn’t really participate in life much anymore. Work, left all of friends, church everything due to her mentor dying and a bad relationship. Corbin is still trying to atone for something that happened to him in the Army. It’s not that it’s sad or depressing, its just their lives right now. Through the course of the book, they actually realize the mistakes that they have made in regards to this and resolve to finally fix them.
- Corbin is a dream. He is definitely going on the book boyfriend shelf for me. Even with his guilt, he is strong, knows he’s NOT perfect and has a huge capacity for love, compassion, and honor. *swoon*
- Beth is just one of those heroines that you truly root for in a book. Smart, self-aware and realizing what is missing in her life and not making the same mistakes twice. Yes, she is no damsel in distress considering her circumstances. You must read it to see what I mean.
- The plot itself is revelant, very fast paced (love), realistic and interesting. Yes, interesting. Ms. Shackelford has done her research on Homeland Security, cyber crimes and forensic accounting. You don’t need to be a geek to understand it all.
- While this is a romantic suspense book, there are inspirational moments that are nicely woven into the story. Its just little things that mean a whole lot in the end. Plus, the romance in the book is a very slow burn and actually takes a backseat to the story as a whole. But when it does happen, I was grinning from ear to ear and fist pumping.
- I will have to say there is a bit of humor in the book, too. I just can’t seem to forget the two goons that seem to pop up. Complete morons but when the truth finally came out, I actually felt sorry for them just a bit.
- The climax of the book was a shocker. I NEVER figured it out, which is a good thing.
Overall, I really loved this book. Corbin and Beth stole my heart and I have a new author to read from a beloved Harlequin line. And I totally got Beth’s addiction to good chocolate and makeup.
About the Author
A former naval reservist with a top-secret security clearance, Sherri writes rapid-fire suspense featuring captivating characters and heart-pounding romance. She’s authored more than a dozen novels for Harper Collins publishing, including both historical and contemporary suspense.
The Power of Words
Splashes of Joy
Hearts & Scribbles
Jorie Loves A Story
Rockin’ Book Reviews
Labor Not in Vain
By The Book
The Barefoot Reader
Locks, Hooks and Books
Among the Reads
Book by Book
The Becca Files
Author Loraine D. Nunley
Tell Tale Book Reviews
Two Girls and a Book
Min Reads and Reviews
1 winner will win “A Little Bit More Romance Box,” which includes the following items in a Decorative Box (pictured):
– Romance Bubble Bath
– Classic Cover Harlequin Notebook
– Collectible Addition Book of Romance Poems
– Romance Bath Bomb
– Scented Candle
– Fuzzy Socks
– Books: No Safe Place and His Substitute Mail-Order Bride by Sherri Shackelford, and Undercover Memories by Lenora Worth
Ends January 23, 2019