Is this starting over or maybe something better?
As most know, I’m also known as Harlie Williams, author. I’ve been struggling for the past year with trying to keep up with the blog. When my debut came out December 26, 2012, it bombed. It still hasn’t sold 100 units and that’s pretty sad. This post is NOT to throw a pity party for me but to hopefully explain the changes that Harlie’s Books will go through starting January, 2014.
Here we go:
- All author review requests will be handled by Manic Readers. This is a more efficient way for me to be able to keep up. Plus, it’s a whole lot easier on the reviewers. I’m always looking for reviewers, guest or permanent. Hint, hint…
- Harlie’s Books will take into consideration personal requests. You know WHO you are, so no worries. 🙂
- Harlie’s Books will still do blog tours but will feature more guest posts and interviews. I feel as if readers would like to actually get to know the authors that they are reading. Call me crazy…
- Effective immediately, Harlie, herself, will only review maybe two books a week. And that’s going to be a stretch. Harlie has other commitments now that keep her busy beside the blog.
- If you are a publisher, most of this post will NOT affect you at all. Harlie will still work with you individually.
- The Harlequin Spotlight on Thursday will change to the Category Spotlight. Harlie reads lots of Entangled category and she wants to feature Entangled on Thursday, too.
- We will also have ads for sale. We have them now but our effort to promote this is terrible.
- Please like our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HarliesBookBlog. We will do giveaways and such there. Also, please feel free to post your links, too.
- As you can see, I’ve changed the look of the blog, too. I’m going for a more “softer” feel that will reflect the re-branding of Harlie’s Books.
- Regarding the re-branding of the blog, Harlie’s Books will no longer review erotica, BDSM, kink or ménage. I have looked at my site stats and analyzed what the readers like and what keeps them coming back for more. Most of what they like is 3 flames or less. The occasional 4 flame but they don’t like the kink, BDSM or ménage. Plus, they want a happy ending and no cliffhangers. HB will continue to feature all kinds of romance whether in a promo post/interview but the reviewing of these books…no.
- I’ve always had a policy of no YA/NA on the blog but I will consider some of it on the blog. Pink is writing a book so she doesn’t have time for her blog right now. 🙂
I realize that this is a lot to digest for you. Harlie isn’t going away but she needs a break. She almost had a breakdown, twice in 2013 and she almost quit out right. She overextended herself and has vowed not to ever do that again. She still has anxiety attacks at times but blogging/reviewing should be fun and it hasn’t been too much fun for her in a while. She hopes that changing things around will help.
Plus, don’t you want to read what she has going on? She has stuff coming soon.
17 thoughts on “Changes coming in 2014”
You have to do what you’re passionate about. But everyone needs to take a break every once-in-a-while. It helps to keep us all healthy. Keep us posted on your writing. Enjoy your holidays!
I was just not “loving” it and the amount of work can be…well, you know. I will definitely keep everyone posted.
I like the new look here! Oh, for more hours to do the things we really want. Maybe one day…
I still owe reviews to people so the backlog will be done in the next month or two. 🙁
Oh, one more thing, don’t look at your book as bombing. Keep writing. When you become wildly successful, you’ll have a back list. That’s how I keep me my spirits up during low sales! 🙂
So sorry to hear about your book, but Marika everyone goes through it. It takes a long time to get your name out there. You just hangs in there and keep writing. Your new blog will do great.
I’m so sorry to hear about you book, especially when you help so many of us. Let me know if I can help at all.
Hopefully Ella that I will get my YA out there soon for everyone. I know..me writing a YA. LOL! My heroine is a trip!
Fascinating. As a 5 flame erotic writer who has decided she probably doesn’t want to write that anymore. It’s interesting to see it isn’t just me – but also the readers. Less heat is better.
Its weird Daryl. The peeps that come to the blog like it spicy but not too erotic. I think tastes are changing and with so many blogs out there, there are niche blogs that feature the kink, etc. and that’s where they are going. I don’t mind. I know what to do now.
I agree… blogging and reviewing should be fun! Anytime you want me to post one of the books I’ve reviewed, just let me know. I love to share but don’t get to review as many books as I’d like… silly day job keeps getting in the way!
You are welcome to guest review anytime. Just send me the write up and I will post it. Authors love any reviews that they can get. 🙂
Do whatever you need to make life easier for you. Hugs.
I’ll be okay Linda. Just having to step back and WRITE! LOL!
So happy for you 🙂
I am, too Krista! 😉