Here I sit at the computer contemplating the rest of my life. At least my blogging life. Over the past couple of years, I have fallen out of love with reading. Oh yes, I still read and review but let me explain.
- I don’t read the trending books. I don’t like a lot of the subject matter/characters/plot devices that most authors are writing about. I’m not into MC, fighters, stepbrothers, erotic, menage, and BDSM.
- As a blogger, you have to love what you do and over the past year, I haven’t “loved” what I do. I’ve been screamed at or dropped by tour companies because I have a life and sometimes a post doesn’t get posted or a book not read. I’m only human and other people forget that.
- I love my authors that I review for on a personal level. I will continue to do so. You know who you are.
- As I have said before, I don’t have a posse of reviewers or any help for that matter. It’s just me and I don’t get paid to blog.
- Lastly…I need to figure out my life again. Blogging was a way for me to express myself but not anymore.
Figuring out my life will be interesting. I continue to substitute teach and love it. It’s my passion now. I love molding little minds and watching the light bulb come on when they “get” it. I love the hugs, the high fives and the look on teachers faces when they see me. It is nice to be appreciated for what I am doing. I’ve even had parents stop me at the store and thank me for subbing in their child’s classroom.
I also have to think of my health. As a diabetic and going through “the change”, I don’t need a lot of stress right now. Blogging/reviewing is stressful at times. You are searching for emails with post materials, making sure that you have the book to read or staying up late to finish posting. I stressed myself out over the past two years with this and I don’t need it. Being on a computer stresses me out. Making sure that all emails are dealt with properly and professionally on a daily basis…I try, I really do but some days, you just have to ignore the computer.
I don’t do a lot on social media anymore. I tried to be engaging but since I don’t write, I’m NOT a super blogger or go to cons…I’m boring. Now my friends will say that I’m NOT boring but yes, on FB…I’m boring. I don’t share my religious or political views on social media either. It really is no one’s business what I think. I agree to disagree with anyone. That’s what makes this country so awesome. I’m dropping a lot FB groups as we speak. It’s not that I don’t like them but I really don’t have the time for them. Plus, since I don’t watch television much, I’m out of the loop when it comes to that, too. Most of y’all think that this is a pity party but it really isn’t. It is just my thoughts and feelings on blogging and why I’m stepping away for a bit. I will continue to post things but not much. I want to get back to the joy of reading. Find that passion again in books.
When I do start reviewing again, it will be on Amazon and Goodreads only. I feel that my reviews will be better served there.
IMPORTANT: If I have you on the schedule through February or March, nothing will change. I will still review the books that I have booked. These changes go into effect starting March 1, 2016, for anything new. If you have any questions, please let me know. 🙂 email@example.com
Plus, baseball season is coming. Yes, I’m a baseball mom and hubs is the coach.
So I’m not into making resolutions. I never have been. I resolve every day to be a better person, mom, wife and daughter. That’s it. Life has its ups and downs every day so why make promises that you can’t keep after the first month of the year.
I realize that I sound horrible but I don’t see the point. I don’t need to lose weight, get right with God, etc. Okay, maybe I need to quit smoking but that’s about it. 😉 Yes, its my only vice and its a bad one. As a diabetic I need to quit…badly. I’ve already dropped over 100 lbs and I’ve never looked or felt better in my life. Weird huh?
As for making resolutions in regards to reading…just keep reading…just keep reading!
So what are your resolutions or do you even make them? One winner will win a copy of The Couple by Harlie Williams.
“>Links to other blogs
Is this starting over or maybe something better?
As most know, I’m also known as Harlie Williams, author. I’ve been struggling for the past year with trying to keep up with the blog. When my debut came out December 26, 2012, it bombed. It still hasn’t sold 100 units and that’s pretty sad. This post is NOT to throw a pity party for me but to hopefully explain the changes that Harlie’s Books will go through starting January, 2014.
Here we go:
- All author review requests will be handled by Manic Readers. This is a more efficient way for me to be able to keep up. Plus, it’s a whole lot easier on the reviewers. I’m always looking for reviewers, guest or permanent. Hint, hint…
- Harlie’s Books will take into consideration personal requests. You know WHO you are, so no worries. 🙂
- Harlie’s Books will still do blog tours but will feature more guest posts and interviews. I feel as if readers would like to actually get to know the authors that they are reading. Call me crazy…
- Effective immediately, Harlie, herself, will only review maybe two books a week. And that’s going to be a stretch. Harlie has other commitments now that keep her busy beside the blog.
- If you are a publisher, most of this post will NOT affect you at all. Harlie will still work with you individually.
- The Harlequin Spotlight on Thursday will change to the Category Spotlight. Harlie reads lots of Entangled category and she wants to feature Entangled on Thursday, too.
- We will also have ads for sale. We have them now but our effort to promote this is terrible.
- Please like our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HarliesBookBlog. We will do giveaways and such there. Also, please feel free to post your links, too.
- As you can see, I’ve changed the look of the blog, too. I’m going for a more “softer” feel that will reflect the re-branding of Harlie’s Books.
- Regarding the re-branding of the blog, Harlie’s Books will no longer review erotica, BDSM, kink or ménage. I have looked at my site stats and analyzed what the readers like and what keeps them coming back for more. Most of what they like is 3 flames or less. The occasional 4 flame but they don’t like the kink, BDSM or ménage. Plus, they want a happy ending and no cliffhangers. HB will continue to feature all kinds of romance whether in a promo post/interview but the reviewing of these books…no.
- I’ve always had a policy of no YA/NA on the blog but I will consider some of it on the blog. Pink is writing a book so she doesn’t have time for her blog right now. 🙂
I realize that this is a lot to digest for you. Harlie isn’t going away but she needs a break. She almost had a breakdown, twice in 2013 and she almost quit out right. She overextended herself and has vowed not to ever do that again. She still has anxiety attacks at times but blogging/reviewing should be fun and it hasn’t been too much fun for her in a while. She hopes that changing things around will help.
Plus, don’t you want to read what she has going on? She has stuff coming soon.