Title: Seducing the Defendant
Series: The Conflict of Interest Series #2
Author: Chantal Fernando
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: November 14, 2017
New York Times bestselling author Chantal Fernando returns to her latest, steamy Conflict of Interest series with this electrifying tale of murder, justice, and intense attraction.Jaxon Bentley is a hardnosed criminal lawyer whose entire life revolves around his work. He’s been asked to represent Scarlett Reyes, a woman accused of murdering her police officer husband in cold blood. All the evidence points to Scarlett being guilty and Jaxon is sure it’s an open and shut case.
But when he meets his client, he can’t help but feel that she’s innocent and that there’s more to the story than meets the eye. With a bit of digging, he uncovers a connection to the notorious Wind Dragons Motorcycle Club and realizes that Scarlett’s case is a complicated and difficult one. It certainly doesn’t help that the two share an immediate and passionate attraction. Will Jaxon be able to prove Scarlett’s innocence or are the two doomed to fail both in court and as a couple?
I know what you are going to say? Or maybe not. I just love Ms. Fernando’s writing. Keep in mind that this is only my 2nd book to read by her and yes, it’s one of the best books of 2017. There is something to be said about an author that grabs your attention and doesn’t let it go. I will admit that I read some of the reviews of this book that have come across my computer through other blogs and not a lot of them liked it as much as I did. Here’s why:
1. Insta love – I didn’t feel like Scarlett and Jaxson had the whole insta love thing going. In fact, I felt like Scarlett held back until about 3/4 of the way in the book. Sure, they had sex, a lot and went out on dates but it seemed like until Demon came around that she finally was able to truly love Jaxson for everything that he was and his past.
2. Scarlett – I really thought that she was a great heroine. She is definitely stronger than she thought and as she makes girlfriends in the book, she is finally able to do things her way and without judgment from her partner. Her group of friends is diverse and the scenes at the strip club are hilarious.
3. Jaxson – Besides being too sexy for his shirt and a brilliant attorney, he’s really a softie. I didn’t figure out a plot point in the book but it explains why Jaxson could be, at times, closed off and why he resisted Scarlett at first. There were tears in my eyes near the ending of the book for him. Ms. Fernando does a great job through the last chapters of the book showing us what he is really made of and how early events in his life shaped him to be the man that he is today.
4. The plot – I will admit that the plot is pretty simplistic but then again, this book is about the characters, not what the blurb tells you. This is a great character study on the growth of Scarlett after the death of her husband and Jaxson dealing with the death of a loved one. After all the years of isolation that Scarlett death with, it was like she had to learn to be herself again. Finding friends, who to trust and how to be free. I admit that I loved Scarlett. She’s a feisty one and watching her relationship grow with Jaxson is a delight. Jaxson’s growth is less subtle but it’s there.
5. Secondary characters – I loved every single one of them. Kat, Hunter, Tristin, Callum, Valentina, Faye, Gwen, and Dex. Oh yes, the MC club, Wind Demons is here, too. I haven’t read the books but I did buy Faye and Dex’s story because I just fell in love with Faye. Demon…man, I teared up. You just have to read it to understand. I can’t wait to read Callum’s book next.
Overall, I loved the book. I love Ms. Fernando. What draws me to her books are the characters. They are strong, flawed and relatable. This book deals with some subject matter that may be sensitive to some but Ms. Fernando deals with it beautifully. I can’t wait until February.
New York Times, Amazon & USA Today Bestselling Author Chantal Fernando is thirty years old and lives in Western Australia. Lover of all things romance, Chantal is the author of the best selling books Dragon’s Lair, Maybe This Time and many more.When not reading, writing or daydreaming she can be found enjoying life with her three sons and family.
Chantal loves to hear from readers.