On Tour with Prism Book Tours
A Cowboy’s Pride
(Rocky Mountain Cowboys #4)
by Karen Rock
Paperback & ebook, 384 pages
September 1st 2018 by Harlequin Heartwarming
Old wounds run deep
Only the truth can heal them…
Rancher Cole Loveland has no interest in dredging up the past, but his ex-fiancée, Katlynn Brennon, has other plans. To save her struggling TV show, she’s come back to Colorado to investigate the infamous Cade-Loveland feud. Trusting Katlynn again isn’t easy—she’s already chosen her career over Cole once. But he’s beginning to realize that true love, like legends, never dies.
“I forgot how beautiful it is up here!” Katlynn called down to Cole, pausing to watch the sun’s golden orb break across the pink horizon.
Fingers of light probed the valley at their feet. Rays gilded the majestic peaks in the distance and illuminated the sea of trees waving below. There was a magical quality to a Colorado Rockies’ sky that stirred something in her. The sky was bluer than blue, the air fresher. Cleaner. She’d forgotten how heights like this exhilarated her. At this elevation, the weight of her life, her troubles, her worries, dropped away, sandbags cut from a rising balloon.
“I haven’t.” Cole lowered himself onto the thick branch, his back against the trunk. Gripping her hand, he guided her down in front of him so their legs dangled in the air, swinging. His strong arms wrapped around her. They made her feel feminine and safe against his powerful breadth.
She angled her face and caught his stare. “You’re not even looking at the view.”
“I’m looking at you. There’s nothing else I’d rather pay attention to.”
She planted a kiss on his lightly stubbled chin. “It feels so good to be back home.” The wind flowed more briskly up here, swaying the smaller branches overhead. “And didn’t we used to climb higher than this?” she asked.
Cole peered up. “Yep.”
“Guess we were more agile then.”
“Or had less sense.”
She laughed. “True. But I like this spot. Let’s carve our initials in it. Leave our mark.”
He swept her hair from her shoulder and dropped his chin to it, snuggling her close. The warmth of his body seeped through the thin cotton of her shirt. “You’re so beautiful. I haven’t been able to think of anything but you since you came home.”
Her cheeks flushed as he lowered his lips to her neck and trailed kisses to the sensitive skin just beneath her ear.
She ran a hand through her hair. “I’m sure I look a mess. I didn’t have a chance to brush my
hair, put on makeup—”
“You look like heaven to me, Katlynn.”
The sound of his deep, raspy voice sent her heart careening in her chest. She closed her eyes and gripped his knees. “You called me Katlynn.”
His mouth was working magic on the curve of her neck, sending goose bumps down her arms.
“Watching you at work, seeing your professional side,” he murmured against the hollow at the base of her throat. Her pulse throbbed. “It’s impressive. You’re good at your job. Guess I’m getting used to Katlynn.”
“Can you care for her?” She twisted around to better see his face.
“I love her,” he said simply. He looked down at her with a smile so genuine and full of emotion that it stole her breath.
“I—I love you, too.”
Joy exploded on his face. “You make me so happy.” He took her in a needful kiss, leaving her weak-kneed and giddy. Her mind spun a dozen ridiculous what-if fantasies.
What if they got married like she’d wanted? A big wedding, full of friends and family, one where they’d broadcast their love, not keep it only to themselves like he’d wanted… And then what if they had kids? Two. No. Three. And a dog… Cole would ranch and she—she’d do what? Her happy thoughts wobbled. Raise children? Keep house? Those were important responsibilities, and extremely rewarding, but somewhere, deep down, a sense of claustrophobia squeezed the thought. Would such an insular world be enough?
“God, I missed you,” Cole murmured against her temple when their lips drew apart. “Every day you were gone was a drop down a dark well.”
Years of longing and regret brewed in her belly. “I missed you, too.”
“We’re soul mates.” He rested the side of his head atop hers when she faced forward again. “Destined to be together. The only question is how?”
I have to admit that I’m conflicted when it comes to this book. On one hand, the romance was a bit bland for it being a Loveland book but the mystery is brilliant. Let me explain.
- Mystery – Perfection. Finding out about the feud once in for all and seeing the conclusion was exceptional. Did it fix anything? Not really but at least we know the what, why, when and how to it and I can’t wait to read in future books the repercussions and how it will all work out.
- Second chance romance – There are two in this book. Joy Cade and Boyd Loveland, the ill-fated couple from the past to their rekindling romance and marriage. OMG!! Their love story is epic. To finally hear what exactly happened to them when they were younger just broke my heart. I had tears and after all the books before, I really wanted to slap every one of their children for the treatment of their romance. These two never fell out of love with one another but their children were just too caught up in the feud to see that. The second romance is Cole and Katie Lynn. This one felt a bit flat for me. Why? Because of Cole. I really wanted to not just slap him but hit him in the face. I get the whole she left but he never quite got the “why” she left. It wasn’t about him but her.
- Katie Lynn – She had so much growth to go through before she could truly be with Cole in the end. Body issues. Career issues. Somewhat ashamed of her upbringing but in the end, she finally decided what she really wanted out of life and it was touching. The interactions with her family were great. She needed to see that despite what she thought, they were proud of her and what she had accomplished in her life.
- Cole – Again, this man. Ooooo! He really needed to get over himself and in a hurry. He almost let the best thing in his life walk out AGAIN!!! In the end, though, I liked him but he still has some growing to do. Especially with his own family. And that’s all I’m going to say.
- History – OMG! Finding out about the stone and where it had been all this time. Wow! Just wow! Ms. Rock did an excellent job with this aspect of the story. I really felt sorry for Maggie and how she was treated not only in the past but also in the future. Someone needed to pay and I believe they did.
Overall, I really liked the book. Just because we find out the mystery and how it was solved by Katlynn, doesn’t mean its over. There is so much more than the feud over water. What’s going to happen now that both families know about it? What is going to happen if a Loveland marries a Cade? And no, I’m not talking about Joy and Boyd. There is definitely a couple that has been brewing since the beginning. Ms. Rock has done it again with the Loveland’s and Cade’s. I can’t get enough of them. Just don’t wrap it up too neatly. I believe there are still more mysteries to solve.
Other Books in the Series
About the Author
Award-winning author Karen Rock is both sweet and spicy—at least when it comes to her writing! The author of both YA and adult contemporary books writes sexy suspense novels and small-town romances for Harlequin and Kensington publishing. A strong believer in Happily-Ever-After, Karen loves creating unforgettable stories that leave her readers with a smile. When she’s not writing, Karen is an avid reader who also loves cooking her grandmother’s Italian recipes, baking and having the Adirondack Park wilderness as her backyard, where she lives with her husband, daughter, dog and cat who keep her life interesting and complete. Learn more about her at http://www.karenrock.com or follow her on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/karenrock5.
Reading Is My SuperPower
Katie’s Clean Book Collection
Jorie Loves A Story
Deal Sharing Aunt
Hearts & Scribbles
The Power of Words
Andi’s Book Reviews
Thoughts of a Blonde
Getting Your Read On
It’s All About the Romance
A Slice of Life
Rockin’ Book Reviews
Teatime and Books
Splashes of Joy
Locks, Hooks and Books
Book by Book
Busy Bumble Bee Book Reviews
– 1 winner will receive a $50 Amazon eGift Card
– Open internationally
– Ends September 13th
a Rafflecopter giveaway